Thursday, December 13, 2007

books to take with me

I am preparing the books I want to take with me.
The main problem is that books are heavy and I have to consider whether or not I want to take the risk of taking them and not bringing them back.
So far in the pile I have, in no particular order:

"The African Child" Camara Laye

"Balthazar" Lawrence Durrell

"The Bookseller of Kabul" Asne Seierstad (probably easy to find again)

"Ambiguous Adventure" Cheik Hamidou Kana

"No Longer at Ease" Chinua Achebe

"The Famish Road" Ben Okri (I have a second copy so I don't have to bring it back)

"Heart of Darkness" Joseph Conrad (easy to find again, but Who do you want to give that to?)

"Things Fall Apart" Chinua Achebe (I just just found it at the second hand bookstore)

"The Children of Gebelaawi" Naguib Mahfouz



I'm not sure If I'll have time to read them all, or even to read any. I'm thinking of taking Naguib Mafhouz with me on the plane partly because I want to read it right away and partly because it is the heaviest one. Then I'll probably choose one other one for the trip. And for sure it will not be "Heart of Darkness" because it is too dark, and not "The Famished Road" because it is too big to carry in hand luggage with "Children of Gebelaawi". Two big books is too much. That's the kind of things I have to consider.