Monday, March 23, 2009

Things are alright here

So what am I up to?
Mostly I work! I am sure this will be not surprise to those who know me, but on the other hand I am tryingto make an effort to try to do other things. This is not a rotation job anymore. I have taken the week ends off so far. Of course in the office they are happy about this. Ultimately this is what they wanted. They wanted (and still want) me to have a job as close as possible to a "regular" office job. I have to seriously consider how I live well while doing this job. Especially since they have asked me if I would extend the contract (and just in case you wonder I said that yes I would...I have to work for a living and right now it is not a good time to be an unemployed contractor in the oil industry!) so life style has become a bit of a priority in my personal life.

I've settled into the house fairly well. I've already cooked myself a couple of meals, though nothing extravagant (home made chicken soup one day and mushrrom risotto the other) but most of all in a real effort to make this place feel like home this week end I made myself some great coffee and burnt a little frankincense while making coffee. The combined smell always makes me feel great. I never fails to bring visions of good life in warm places, desert, nice food and somehow also reminds me of Ethiopia. I instantly thought of making myself a lamb couscous and in fact bought al the ingredients..with lots of chick peas.
Another thing which never fails to make me feel good is having books and I have already a couple of boxes of books in the house, though no bookshelves. One entire box is from a friend who has asked me to take them to the secondhand bookstore, but that I am keeping first to see what I want to read in the lot and to make my house feel bookish and comfortable. Along the same line I have shuffled around a good part of the furniture to create a few good reading spots. The owners who lived in the house before me (it is the first time they rent their house) are clearly not into reading, you can just tell by the lay out of the house and by the obvious lack of bookshelves...not one in the entire house.

All this to say, things are alright here, I grant you maybe in a bit of a boring way, but alright just the same.