Friday, February 27, 2009

Even in bad weather there is always frankincense

Its is funny how the body can get use to nearly anything.
When I was working in northern Canada regardless of the temperature I would walk to camp for lunch. This would typically mean anything from half a kilometre up to three kilometres and temperature would quite often be around -30C. But I would bundle up and walk to lunch.
Now I haven't lived in a proper Canadian winter in a few years and I am just back from a South African summer, mind you not a particularly warm one as this year is rainy and Johannesburg where I am is 1900 metres above sea level, and I am having a hard time with present day temperature in Calgary.
The last three days the temperatures stayed between -24C and -15C. I would have found this cold but still reasonable not that long ago. But now I don't anymore and I am spending most of my time indoor, though I made an effort and walked to the library (a 20 minute walk) two days ago, and to the post office (only 10 minutes) and to the grocery store (another 5 minutes) yesterday.

This morning I read the weather forecast and things are supposed to improve slowly, by Tuesday the temperature should be above zero..... I'm leaving Wednesday!!!

Anyway as a treat today as I am making my typical morning cup of coffee from the stove-top coffee maker I put two small lumps of frankincense under the stove burner and the house smells wonderful! I love the smell of frankincense and the smell of frankincense mixed with the smell of coffee reminds me of Ethiopia.