Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Warning and recommendations about Ethiopia from the Canadian government

This is what the government of Canada has to say about Ethiopia and the risk for travelers in Ethiopia... I am just reading it now, I never read it before going somewhere because I don't want to behave like a paranoid victim...there is nothing more dangerous than behaving like a paranoid victims, it attracts crooks. Anyway, here it is, from this site:
"You are advised to exercise a high degree of caution in the country. On September 3, 2008, an explosion occurred in the Merkato section of the capital, Addis Ababa. Bombings also occured in the capital in April and May 2008. Travellers should maintain a very high level of security awareness at all times and avoid public gatherings and street demonstrations.

The risk of terrorist attacks remains high in Addis Ababa
and other areas of the country. Although foreigners are not ordinarily the target of such attacks, some local hotels including the Hilton and the Ghion have received bomb threats. Canadians should monitor local developments, avoid demonstrations, and register and remain in regular contact with the Embassy of Canada in Addis."


And of course if you go and check it out it goes on and on about areas to avoid entirely.
I would like to say that the sum of all the troubles I had in Ethiopia goes as followed: I was seriously bitten by fleas (over 60 bites over the area of my body which would just fit under a regular sized T-shirt) after going to a market in a small village off a dirt road and crossing (just like the rest of the crowd, I would like to point out) trough a packed mass of donkeys. OK, the thing is fleas and mosquitoes love me.
Here is an advice for you: if you want to go to a place where nothing at all will happen, ask me where I am going, nothing ever happens where I am. People in Thailand were stranded in the Bangkok airport. People in Mumbai went through hell, and some died. Just stick with me and we can go any place on the planet and nothing, absolutely nothing -being bitten by fleas does not count- will happen. Though I will say that in the Merkato (reputed to be the largest open air market in Africa) you should be wary of pickpockets. I had no problems but it is an area which by the density of the population and all that would lend itself to pick pocketing very easily anywhere in the world.

And let me just add as passing sarcasm one question regarding these recommendations from the Canadian government.....What government would that be???? We are going through a political situation right now which honestly remind me of political coups in crazy unstable countries.