Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Governor General of Canada has prorogued the parliament

Through everything which is going on in the world I would imagine that our situation in Canada is not widely reported but today the governor general (a representative of the Queen of England) has prorogued (suspended) our parliament until January 26th.
It is usually understood that the role of governor general is really one of show and even though it is obviously a position of power, this power is not typically used. This being said I have to say that Michaelle Jean (our governor general) had to get involved.
The opposition has formed a coalition against our minority government and is trying to take power without any elections. If you get into the nitty gritty of the thing it is possible and may even in some way appear alright but from my point of view just the way the opposition is handling the situation suggests to me that they should not be allowed to take power.
I am not going to rant and rave about it, just go an check it out if you are interested.

I wonder if Crazy Bob (also known as Robert Mugabe) is laughing at us.