Thursday, May 29, 2008

The end of the bank story...sort of

Well after several very frustrating phone calls with the bank during which I was treated with a mixture of fake politeness and suspicion the story came to an end last night.
The bank will reimburse me for the money stolen.
To be fair I have to say that in the end, regardless of how the process went, the result was fair.
I guess I will never know if the fact that in the phone call prior to that I ended up saying that I was starting to think that I should get a lawyer had any impact in the way they dealt with it. I can see their point that they have to make sure that I am not the one stealing the money, but I certainly felt that the process was very weird. Of course they record all phone conversation, everything that I say is taken as a legal statement and NONE of what they say can be use as such. I tell you it is not a pleasant process.

My final question to them was: "how can I protect myself from having my ATM card copied at a bank machine?" and the answer was: "There is nothing you can do. This is done by organized crime. It is their job and they are good at it. Bank card theft has been around for a long time but they have just become a lot more aggressive."

So here you are. Good luck to all of us with all this.

Tomorrow I have to go to the bank, sign an affidavit (which I will read very very carefully) and they will reimburse me the money they recognize as stolen.