Monday, May 19, 2008

Cleaned out

I guess after everything my first blog should really be about Ben's wedding (which went very well, I thought, and was gorgeous but for which I have absolutely no photos), my trip to Kruger Park (where I saw lions), why it is that I am not in Dubai where I am supposed to be (what's the point of cursing the travel agent once again); or I should talk about the Zimbabwe elections (going to the run off with the leader of the opposition not daring -so far- to re-enter Zimbabwe), or maybe I should talk about the violence in townships around Johannesburg against foreigners and particularly people from Zimbabwe...or I could even just describe my very short observations on the townships and shanty towns of South Africa because they are something quite particular to that part of the world (I've seen townships in Namibia too); but my head is not in it.
I just had trouble with my bank card and when I tried to figure out what was going on I found that somebody has cleaned my chequing account from "international withdrawal"...I would guess South Africa since I did not use my card anywhere in Asia. Now I have to wait till the end of the long week end and see what and if I can sort out with the bank.
On the plus side I am home so it should make dealing with all this a little easier...not to mention that if I was on the road this would be a much bigger problem....Things can always get worse.

You hear people say that things are "as bad as they get", then they should be happy for any change that bounds to happen soon because "if it can't get worse" it can only get better. But generally from my experience people who say this type of thing say it with gloom and little hope, in fact they usually expect things to get way worse.