Monday, March 31, 2008

nearly 01:30pm in Zimbabwe and no official results yet

Nothing, or very little.
Of the 210 parliamentary seats available the results have been given for 24.
12 going to Znu-PF (Mugabe's party) and 12 to the MDC.

Let's be honest the fact that the results are coming exactly half and half makes it look like the results are being rigged. I am not saying they are, though there is nothing that anybody can say or do that would make me believe that they aren't. And I am not saying this because it is Africa, or because it is Zimbabwe or even because it is Mugabe. I am saying it because it is a humans involved in power issues, and I have very little faith in human's ability to remain fair when issues like this are concerned.
But what I think is irrelevant, what matters here is how the people of Zimbabwe are reacting. So far there is no reported violence. BBC News World writes; "Zimbabwe stands on a precipice", but this is just their take on it.

Here are my thought on this title: When you read the news always remember that, contrary to what we would like to believe, the job of the press is not to give news, it is to sale newspapers. In fact I never understand why people think that the press owes us the news and all the news. They choose what they think their readers will be interested in and only what they think their readers will like (and it is an obvious fact that we choose newspapers that we like) and they word it in a way to make it interesting (Really another obvious point). Put two and two together.