Sunday, November 04, 2007

I own one more book from the "99 books...." book list

I don't get anywhere near any bookstore that isn't an airport bookstore on my way in to work. I only get to them on my way back home via South Africa. So I hadn't looked closely at the 99 books book list for a while. Today there is nothing to do at work and the air is hot and sticky and I don't feel like going for a walk, instead I decided to have a close look at The List.
....AND! Ta Dum!
Last time I was in town I went for breakfast with a friend and she gave me a book. The title sounded familiar and I even checked to see if I had it already but I didn't. Of course you can see where I am going: It is on 99 books book list.
I am crossing Paul Bowles "sheltering sky" off the list. (thanks JVS)


I try to read the list every now and then so I can recognize a book that is on it if I see it in a bookstore. This suggests that this is not really working out, but the tittle did sound familiar! Right now the problem is that my bookshelves are full of books I have bought but not read yet and as much as I knew that I had not read it I could not remember if I had bought it. I need to keep track of this from now on.



Today I killed a few hours going to Abebooks to see what books I could buy online since books are so expensive in South Africa and I was surprised to see that most of them are available, most around the $1 to $5 mark, plus shipping of course. The shipping is what always gets me. There was only four that I either couldn't find at all, or could not find for less than $10 before shipping and those were totally out of my prize range.
One bookstore in particular seems to have quite a few of them. I wish it was a "real" bookstore where you can go and browse. I like browsing for books. Shopping on line for books is just not the same. You can have a quick look inside see if you would like it and maybe choose another book by the same author, or the author sitting next to it on the shelf.

Remember when people where saying that computer would be the end of books?
Looking at my favourite list of blogs I would say that we are not anywhere near it.