Saturday, August 18, 2007

Namibia, first part of the trip

Well, I did make it to Namibia and I loved it. To love Namibia you have to love the desert, so right here I qualify. It is a beautiful place with many types of deserts, many types of mountains, the ocean and fog, quite a few interesting animals and roads which at first fool you into thinking that dirt roads can be good! Namibia is also famous for its dunes but let's face it after the Sahara it is hard to take pictures of the dunes especially since while I was there the air was not clear either because of the fog, the sand storms of just general dust in the air. But just in case you can't quite put Namibia in a frame of reference here is probably the most famous view of Namibia.
I didn't take it I lifted it off the net.

What I liked looked more like this:


I AM into deserts! What can I say?!
Now the interesting part about this photo, and the reason while I took it is the green colour on the ground. As it turns out it is lichen.

And I am pleased that I noticed it because it turns out that it is one of the features of Namibia.

I didn't know before noticing it and only saw the sign days later.
That same day, which was incredibly windy, I also noticed the Namibian ventifacts. I don't think that they are quite as famous or quite as appreciated, but I liked them.

I'll admit that I probably did notice them because that day was so windy... so windy that it was hard to stay still enough to take a picture!

Guess which way the wind was blowing? (By the way it is a dolerite dyke)

And the garnets you can sort of see in the first ventifact eventually made it to the ocean.

I tell you Namibia is nice!