Saturday, August 18, 2007

Namibia, second part of the trip

The first part of the trip was around Swakopmund, a little German town by the ocean. After this I went further north and inland. Apart from just wanting to wonder around Namibia aimlessly I also wanted to see the rock paintings and the rock carvings, particularly Twyfelfontein (thanks to Rob who told me about them).
First, because it is the first when you come from the south I went to see "The White Lady". Amazing rock paintings. (I am quite happy with this photo, the rock paintings are great to see but hard to photograph)
This one is obviously not The White Lady, but it is better preserved and I prefer it.
Then I went twice to see the rock carvings of Twyfelfontein.
Here is me taking pictures of the giraffes...lots of giraffe engravings.

And this is the Famous Lion of Twyfelfontein. I had seen photos of both the White Lady and the Twyfelfontein Lion before but had never realized that they were in Namibia. Interestingly enough both are meant to be about 6 thousand years old....just like the rock carvings of Ireland and the rock art of Algeria.
Going back to Twyfelfontein the second time on one of the worst road I drove in Namibia I managed to get a flat tire..which you would think is trivial but turns out to be a bit of a headache when you are far from things, it is Saturday and the tires in the car are tubeless. It eventually got sorted out, it always does! The plus side of all this was that I met Martin who stopped to asked if I needed help. He is a Dutch school teacher who bikes all over the world alone on his time off.
It seems like a good time to mention the fact that I am about to buy a car in southern Africa so I can travel all over Africa alone in a car. But right after writing about Martin biking all over the word alone it does not sound so crazy, see!

All this to say that I loved Namibia and I am hoping to go back soon when I have my own car and at least TWO spare tires!

Just a last shot of blooming bottle trees.
They have amazingly fancy white flowers with a strong flowery perfume. I didn't like the scent because it reminded me of my grandma's perfume (yaakss!!). But I was told by two people that I was unfair and it really was a nice fresh scent!!!