Friday, April 27, 2007

the bushman rain makers

I mention that I would say more about the bushmen stories.
This one is not something I am getting form a book, but something I remember from one of the movies at at the museum.
I couldn't find a good picture of it!
Bushmen believed that water where special places where not only the different animals of the physical world would meet but also the the creature of other world could meet. Rain makers, people gifted as rain maker, when in a trance were able to see those creature and one of the ??? I forget his name... The rain maker would catch him with a lasso and take him to the place where they wanted the rain. At this point it body would dissolve into rain that would fall onto the land.
I like this story...I like the idea of water holes as special places, and also the fact, and I guess that I should explain this better, that the rain maker in his trance would go the the water hole and bring back hte beast regardless of how far their physical body was from the actual water hole.


as an aside: these two photos are not mine