Monday, October 02, 2006

Why I am not doing Ramadan

I talked about Ramadan and about considering doing it myself but never said anything more after that.

In the end I decided not to do it..and no it isn't because I was concerned about not eating , drinking etc in day time. Those who know me will know that I always think those things long and hard, and I thought that fasting without the rest of it (prayers, special thought all day long to religious matter etc) would be like reducing Ramadan to a dietary exercise as opposed to the religious event it is supposed to be. I felt that it could be read as a mockery of Ramadan.
I imagine that if I saw a Muslim cross himself to pray I probably would feel that it is out of place for him to use a religious symbol that belongs to what is supposed to be my religion and not his. I actually had an interesting conversation about it with the medic on location and a few other guys.

There was other reasons for my decision but this played a major part.