Saturday, June 17, 2006

Price of gas

The other day when we were going to the grocery store we had to stop at the gas station and that reminded me to ask about the price of gas in Algeria.

"Regular" is 22 dinar per litre…so about 37 cents per liter.

My first reaction was: "It is so cheap!"

But the next question was: how much money does a gardener / house keeper at the base makes. The answer: US100$ per month!! But I should add to be honest that the company running the base is known for being a terrible company to work for….

I’ve been trying to find out for a while how much the guy who cleans our rooms and offices makes so I can leave him a tip that makes sense. Possibly he makes US $20 per day to work on site.

It is always a hard question to ask: how much money is "normal" money?…

Even at home I would be hard pressed to answer this question…How much money does the cash register girl in Safeway make?