Friday, June 30, 2006

five in your eye - I'm joking here

Isn't it the best part about traveling?
I get to find out about the Mzab, Ibn Khaldoun, couscous, orange blossom water in coffee (have any of you tried it yet?) etc.

I am slowy...I mean really slowly..learning a little bit of Arabic. Of course I am learning in a totally disorganised way depending on what happens around me. Here is an example I know how to say "five" because of the expression "five in your eye" which is something you say to somebody whom you think may be wishing you bad luck or bringing you bad luck...Lots of bad luck here so we were talking about it...But I don't know, well, I don't remember how to say any other number. I understand most of them, up to seven, but I can't remember them enough to say them...Those who have learnt a second or third language will know what it is like to know something well enough to understand it but not well enough to be able to use it and say it.

When you say "five" short for "five in your eye" you have to put your hand up, just like the picture, palm facing the person you are saying it to.
If it is not a joke you are best not use it at all, it is pretty serious stuff when not said jokingly.