Sunday, May 28, 2006

I know that I didn't kill it


Here is something weird.
I was in bed trying to fall asleep...and not being successful at it at all..when I felt something near my pillow. I was sort of long and somewhere between papery and plasticy? multilayered and a couple of inches long. It could not have been a scorpion but I was sort of squeezing it when it occured to me that in this part of the world you don't go and squeeze things like this if you don't know what they are, especially when you door opens on the outdoors and there is a light right outside your door that attracts all kind of insects.
Well, I know it wasn't a scorpion...probably an big locust...don't know. When I turned the light on there was nothing at all anywhere to be seen, so at least I know that I didn't kill it.

Yesterday on one of the other rigs (there are three within a 40km radius) a guy was bitten by a scorpion who was in his coveralls when he put them on...Four injections and a few hours rest later he was OK.
Apparently summer is scorpion season. I still haven't seen any.