Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The fennek


Yesterday when it was time to go for my walk I decided to go in a totally different direction. I went somewhere where the lay of the land is slightly different and views are maybe less dramatic but more open. It was probably one of the best walks so far.
Also helping was the fact that the guard -I knowI haven't said anything about the walks and the guards...soon- anyway, the guard was the first guard who did not mind going for a walk in the desert. He was a bit too familliar and taking this more as a walk together than what I would have liked, but I'll work on this.
Anyway it was the best walk mostly because of the little guy in the photo, a fennek. Very cute little guy, shy but not overly so. If anything I thought that really he should be more careful. He stayed quite close maybe because with the open land he really didn't have anywhere to go. Also it was hot and he probably needed to stay cool in his burrow. I always made sure that the path between him and his burrow was open and clear. When he ran, he looked like somebody running on a hot plate...which could very well be the case, the sand is too hot to walk bare feet these days.
It was a pleasure to see him. He was right in the area where I found the best arrowhead so far and some beautifully decorated pot fragment which is why I was there in the first place.

I feel very lucky. There just isn't that many creatures in the desert but there he was!