Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day trip to the Rockies

Driving towards the mountains


First stop Lake Minnewanka



Then Castle Mountain.


Mount Rundle in the morning. Probably one of my favourite mountains, with Mount Yamnuska (no photos of Yamnuska).


Returning at the end of the day on the back roads


But not without passing Mount Rundle one more time in the evening.

All in all it was a nice day.It was nice to get out of town even if it was for just a day. The air smelled nice of pine, wet undergrowth and in some spot the disturbed dried undergrowth (very different from the wet one).
The air has texture in the mountains, you can feel warm currents mixing with the cold crisp air; the smells change and are varied. I was lucky enough that there was a controlled planned fired somewhere behind Mount Rundle and I followed the change in light and smells that goes with it. Lovely day! If only there was no winter I could probably convince myself that I could live in Calgary so I could be close to the mountains.
As usual the best thing about Calgary is that when you leave it you can go nice places!!!