Friday, February 27, 2009

Ethiopia: Markets outside Addis

I was in Ethiopia for such a short time (5 days only) and since I didn't want to rush around and drive all the time, instead most everyday I rented a car (with a driver in this case which is totally unusual for me) and we did day trips with lots of stopping and not so much driving.
Here is one of the markets we saw...and yes this is where I got fleas from the donkeys, but I hold no grudges.

It was just shear luck that we drove through on market day. Absolutely no planning went into it. It was a busy place. I loved it.

You could barely see a village around this. It seemed to me that it was mostly a market.

While walking through it people definitely looked at me, we were far away from the anyway practically none existent tourist path and on top of it at one stand while the owner was not looking a goat started eating her goods so I shouted at the goat and shooed him away. The women around me laughed, called the owner to let her know I had defended her goods and a brief completely funny little moment ensued where everybody had something to say...but I will never know what they said though the owner seemed pleased that the goat had not eaten too much.



What a great scene.

Here is a closer look at it.


This one is form another side by the side of the road. The side of the road was full of women saling goods. I just asked if I could take her pictures, so here she is.