Monday, December 01, 2008

An hour in Oman

Oman is so beautiful.



The only problem was that since I did not know that we were crossing into Oman (in fact I had not realized that there was a small part of Oman in this part of the world) I didn't have my passport. Going in Oman was easy, the young man at the border ( a military of some sort) just asked to confirm that R. and I were relatives (it is illegal for an unmarried woman to be alone with a bachelor...simply put it is illegal for an unmarried woman to be alone with a man whom by law she could marry), he told us that we could not stay long and had to come back the same day which was fine. However when we came back at the same border crossing the guards were different and they were completely amazed when we told them that we had crossed an hour ago with no passport (neither one of us) and really just with R.'s driver's license. Thank goodness the guy who let us go in was in the office and when he saw us he told them to let us go by otherwise since they did not speak english this all thing could have gotten complicated. I normally always use to have my passport with me, but South Africa has taught me to leave it in the safe of the hotel because the chances of getting mugged are so high.
In the end all was fine and it didn't not take very long at all to sort out. I thought that Omanis came across as quite friendly. The little bit that I saw came across as much more genuine than Dubai.


I am always amazed at the prevalence of english just about everywhere. Even in places like Oman you get little store with english signs. Sometimes there are just so cute.