Friday, May 30, 2008

Treasures from the library discard

I'm going back to work in South Africa this Sunday. I went to the library today to return most of what I had borrowed (I'll return the rest on my way to the airport) and to buy something from the discard to take with me on the plane. I was thinking of something easy to read which would bring no regrets if left behind by mistake. I was planning on buying a murder mystery but somebody must have just donated some books to the library because I found a collection of twelve books, all published by Vintage International, which were in good state and looked really like a good read. Some of them I would not have picked on their own but I thought that in a way it was great way to try new authors. It is as if an unknown person chose for me a collection of twelve books to read.
My attention was originally drawn by a book by Camara Laye and one by Doris Lessing.
Here is what I bought for 50 cents each:

Camara Laye "The radiance of The King" (Guinea/Senegal)
Par Lagerkvist "Barabbas" (Sweden)
Caryl Phillips "Cambridge" (England)
Doris Lessing "The fifth Child" (South Africa)
Tatyana Tolstaya "Sleepwalker in a fog" (Russia)
Julian Barnes "Talking it Over" (England)
Mario Vargas Llosa "The Real Life of Alejandro Mayta" (Peru)
Leonardo Sciascia "Open Doors, and three novellas" (Italy)
Robert Stone "Children of Light" (USA)
Kobo Abe "The Woman in the Dunes" (Japan)
Yukio Mishima "The Temple of the Golden Pavilion" (Japan
Junichiro Tanizaki "Diary of a Mad Old Man" (Japan)


Also for 50 cents I bought the last book of the Harry Potter collection which was so far the only one I did not have.

I feel pretty lucky!