Monday, March 31, 2008

Zimbabwe, the Monday after the elections ... no official results

I was not even going to give you the numbers. The numbers right now mean nothing and can still go either way but in retrospect I think I should.
------------------
Zuni-PF (Mugabe): 31
MDC (Tsvangirai): 30
Breakaway faction of MDC: 5
Left to be declared: 144
--------------------
Let's just say that not much has changed:
Mugabe says he is sure to win and he has not rigged the elections
The MDC (the opposition) has claimed victory,
both sides are celebrating,
the riot police has moved into 2 areas of Harare which are known opposition strongholds


It is the end of the Monday which was supposed to give us the official results and things are a mess.
I can imagine how Mugabe might be willing to let go of his power.
I can't imagine how the MDC is going to step down if the official results say that they have lost the elections.

People from the so called "western world" find it easy to put down Africa in times like this. But some countries, whose political leaders are commenting of the elections in Zimbabwe, can hardly even have soccer/football matches without violence. So far no reported violence in Zimbabwe. More than 48 hours after the end of the polls and still no violence...how long does a soccer match lasts?
Other countries where scandals over counting of votes have tarnished the last couple of elections have their political leaders urging the Zimbabwe officials to count the vote carefully.

Here is the thing from my point of view: Zimbabwe does not need pressure right now. It needs support. And I tell you if they make it past these elections without violence then they actually have obtain the right to go and comment on other countries elections unlike a lot of those talking now. You know the all theory of the butterfly wings etc etc...Right now I can assure you the wind that started in Kenya will have consequences, but there is no knowing what they will be. I am hoping that people will think of the events in Kenya and see in them a warning of what could be in Zimbabwe if they are not careful.

I wish Zimbabwe peace!
I wish them a peaceful day tomorrow. One day at a time. One day at a time.

And I am not forgetting about Tibet, but I feel that I have nothing to add to that issue.