Saturday, March 29, 2008

grey day

I'm at home and it is a miserable grey day when the sky is white and if you look carefully you can see a few crystals of ice falling slowly. It isn't very cold, but it is far from warm. It is just windy enough to be chilly without being dramatic....it is one of those days.
Zimbabwe is voting today but we won't get the preliminary results until Monday so there is no point following the news and waiting....The Zimbabwe elections may seem to be totally unrelated to the weather here but somehow to me the two make for a grim day. And, yes, I know elections in Zimbabwe theoretically are good, elections anywhere are good, but let's face it I am not optimistic on the results...and here I say "results" not only meaning "results of the vote" but also "resulting effect of the elections". (If you are curious about it here is a link to read about it)

So what do you do on a day like this?
I started cooking another pot of "dirty rice" with different pulse and different spices. This time I used lentils and put in fenugreg, caraway, garlic, cardamon, chilies and a little cumin. I just started it, tempered the spices and the rice, soaked the lentils and remembering that last night P. A. told me again how she really thought I should read "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver and I used this as an excuse to go to the second hand bookstore.
They didn't have "Prodigal Summer". They didn't have any of the Graham Greene I wanted to read ("journey without a map" and ........ "The heart of the Matter" - I couldn't even remember the title here for a second). They didn't have any Kafka - I had a moment where I thought I should read something by Kafka...don't ask why, I couldn't possibly come up with an answer.


....and I check the African news each time I walk by the computer.......