Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I am dreaming of India

Not much work right now so I am planning a trip to India. The mud engineers here are from India and I am picking at their brains...always the best way to organize a trip.
I want to travel by train, and not the super fancy trains full of tourists drinking gin and tonic, and Darjeeling tea with lemon, but not the super crowded trains either, something in between. The Indian mud engineers are of course the perfect people to ask. They say that I should travel 2AC and try 3AC once Which is 2nd class with Air conditioning and 3rd class with air conditioning...second seating is the lowest possible class and they recommend against it for me). They know me now, they have a pretty good sense of what I want.
They tell me that for about $20 a night I should find a decent hotel, and $10 a day to eat should be fine as long as I eat like "normal" people..."normal" in our conversations means "locals who are not insanely rich but not poor".

I spent much time looking up train ticket and finally found how to book a ticket, and look up everything and anything that you could possibly want to know about rains in India.

I have an itinerary sorted out:

Delhi to Mumbai (Bombay)
Mumbai to Bangalore
Bangalore to Chennai (Madras)
Chennai to Madurai
Madurai to Kanyakumari (the very point of the cape)
Kanyakumari to Coimbatore
Coimbatore to Hyderabad
Hyderabad to Nagpur
Nagpur to Allahabad
Allahabad to Agra
Agra to Jaipur
Jaipur to Delhi
.......................I think this should be a nice trip..........
All together in 2AC class this will cost 11,138 Rupees, or C$280 (C$= Canadian dollars). And to do this comfortably without hurrying I need about 30 days

I should be able to get a plane ticket for about C$2,000. So the secret to lower the cost per day is to stay for a long long time...OR...take a round the world ticket stay one month in India and some time.... couple of weeks?.... in Vietnam visiting with Ben, Samantha and Connor.

Funny the plans are already starting to take shape even before I know when exactly this job is finished....Anyway so far it is just a dream....Sometimes a few years pass between the time I dream up something and the time I do it!