Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Goodbye!

Goodbye Esmeralda!


Goodbye Rose!
Esmeralda stayed true to herself and barely moved for a long time when I put her down...even though she was still healthy. She stayed inside her shell most of the time I had her.
Rose most of the time tried to get out of the box, apart at night when she slept. Neither one ate for the 28 or so hours I had them. I ducked Rose in water several times to keep her as happy as I could, but when I put her on the ground near a puddle (right by a proper real swamp) she right away went in the water and ducked her head under water...I think she drank a little too afterward, or at least she kept her head just above the water surface with maybe her mouth in the water. Then she quickly took off.
I really liked Rose. I was sorry to see them go, but the entire time I had them I mostly worried because they clearly were not going to get use to captivity but I was too busy at work (wireline logging for those who know) and I didn't have time to free them. I wanted to take them far from here and somewhere nice. I think I found a good spot for them. I didn't leave them close to each other since one was a turtle and one is a tortoise.

It is definitely a day of goodbyes as now we know that this is the end of this drilling campaign. Thursday I am taking the night company man (the only one who never let me down though the entire unpleasant series of events) to the airport and he is going home for good. This, then should be my last rotation here. I am surprised at how happy I am about that. I have only been here for a week today and it feels like I have been here for a very long time. I'm ready to go.