Tuesday, November 13, 2007

the mango season has started

Today I had to drive to Vilanculo to drop some samples to the local government's warehouse. Driving around I saw mangoes for sale for the first time...lots of them, everywhere. I wonder how long the season is going to last if they all ripen at the same time.
I bought some by the road side, away from the busy market where the tourists are driving the prices straight up and where all the merchants do very well for themselves. As usual I chose a small stand kept by an old woman - those are my favorite merchants- and bought twenty smallish red mangoes. She charged me the local price instead of an inflated tourist price. My guess is that she was so far out of town that she seldom sees tourists. We counted them together but really I am making no progress in Portuguese since very few people at the rig speak Portuguese. I speak more Russian than Portuguese with the rig being Polish.
She was very nice, she gave me three extra mangoes as a bonus for buying so many and I gave her a liter of milk which is hard to come buy and expensive.....Milk both here and in South Africa is quite expensive and not always available. This is one of the most requested food item by the local workers....She was happy with the milk and everybody at work is very happy with the mangoes. So all in all a good day!