Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Save River


Today I went to the Save River (pronounced sa-vey). I had never seen it before.
Just like the Limpopo of northern South Africa it is very sandy but unlike the Limpopo which is the border between South Africa and Zimbabwe where I saw it and asa result is guarded and has fences and military roads along it, the Save is easily accessible.
Here is one of the road sign along the Limpopo River.


Here in Mozambique there is a small town, Villa Franca de Save,where the main road crosses the Save River. I paid the toll to cross the bridge (10 metacals, the equivalent of just under 40 cents US) even though I just went across, parked, walked back and forth on the bridge and turn the truck around to go back.
Below the bridge the locals were washing clothes and farther away some kids looked like they were fishing with a small net.
I love the local sarongs (called "capolanas" in Portuguese).

Today I bought two.