Saturday, September 01, 2007

Iivable?

Putting a couple of things together:
1.The list of most livable cities in the world seen in a friend's blog, and
2.The list I just started for myself of what is happening (roughly) in all of the 52 countries in Africa to keep track of how easy it would be to travel in them alone.

First I found mentions of Angola (I made it to the second country in alphabetical order befre getting sidetracked) being Africa's first oil producer and "one of the world poorest country". So I tried to find the list of poorest countries in order (I have read somewhere that Mozambique also makes it to that list). So far haven't been able to find that list. Well, I found the list of the top 50 poorest countries but in alphabetical order. I moved on to "livable" countries. Here is one of the results that Factmonster in turn got from Human Development Report, 2006, United Nations .
“Least Livable” Countries, 2006
1.Niger16.Tanzania
2.Sierra Leone17.Angola
3.Mali18.Guinea
4.Burkina Faso19.Nigeria
5.Guinea-Bissau20.Rwanda
6.Central African Republic21.Eritrea
7.Chad22.Senegal
8.Ethiopia23.Gambia
9.Burundi24.Haiti
10.Mozambique25.Mauritania
11.Congo, Dem. Rep. of the26.Kenya
12.Malawi27.Zimbabwe
13.Zambia28.Yemen
14.Côte d'Ivoire29.Lesotho
15.Benin30.Djibout


The first non-African country in Haiti at number 24!!! Then you have Yemen at number 28 and that's it!

I see that Malawi is number 12...I guess I should check why since I want to go there...but on the other hand Mozambique is number 10, so......

Go and check out: hdr.undp.org/hdr2006/statistics/, check the 2006 HDI Ranking on the right hand side of the page..each country is a link that tells you a lot more.