Thursday, August 30, 2007

The mopane tree

My favorite Namibian tree is the Mopane tree.
I am pretty sure that had I seen the quiver trees they would have been my favorite, but I only saw them in South Africa and even them they were fairly small since it wasn't there "prime territory". But I think the quiver trees are in southern Namibia only....In a way I am please that they are not my favorite because they are so obvious...If you know what I mean.

Here is a spot where you can read some interesting stuff about the mopane tree:
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/colomopane.htm

I tell you it is a lot easier to find information on a plant/tree when you know its name!!

Here are two photos from the site. I have some leaves pressed in the book I was reading at the time. I'll take photos and you will understand better why this tree is my favorite.
The leaves to me really looked like hooves prints...a tree full of hooves prints! Martin thought that they looked like lungs.

I'm sure hoping that saying where you get the photo from is the way to handle copywrited stuff!