Friday, July 13, 2007

Two books

I can honestly not remember the last time I blogged.
I just haven't been into it lately, this and I really do not have a great internet connection. As I type this I cannot be sure that I will be able to post it, so it is a bit of a drag.
I am in Mozambique right now, and it is the middle of winter here. Mostly the temperatures are quite reasonable. I would guess into the 10 deg C at night and up to upper 20s in day time...And of course lots of humidity in the air. That part I like. I am not too fond of the cooler temperatures...It is colder here now (because it is winter) that it is in Calgary (because it is summer)!!!

In about two weeks this rotation will be done and I will try to go to Namibia. It is not sorted out yet.


Right now I am reading "The White Nile" by Alan Moorehead, an old book easily available in second hand book stores. It is supposed to cover the all history of the search for the source of the Nile. Right now I am just at the beginning and the author is describing Burton's and Speke's expedition of 1856. Here is the part where he describes Burton: "Burton, despite the plethora of books that have been written either by or about him, still remains beyond the range of ordinary definition. Above all else he was a romantic and an Arabist; he belongs decidedly to that small perennial group of Englishmen and women who are born with something lacking in their lives, : a hunger, a nostalgia, that can be sent at rest only in the deserts of the East......."

Well written book. I am enjoying it so far.

I've just finished: "Waiting for the Barbarians" by J.M. Coetzee, a South African author who receive the Nobel price of literature, in 2003...I think it was 2003.
Great book!
The author managed to keep the tone of the very light beginning all while really dealing with the issues of political tortures and the extreme people go to in the determination to keep one's country safe in the face of their possibly unreasonable fears.
This was written in 1980 and was not written to describe present day States situation.

Good book. I highly recommend it, for an amazingly easy read which does not insult the intelligence.