Monday, March 26, 2007

Mozambique's bad luck

Just over two months ago Mozambique had some major floods, even before the cyclone, and 7,000 people died. I remember seeing on the news something about a train somewhere in Europe where over 20 people were hurt but nothing about Mozambique.
A few days ago in the Maputo Airport a military bunker blew up and an estimated 90 people died. I know because this is where we are supposed to land in Mozambique when I finally get there and a few people from the office were there when it happened. And again nothing in the news, not even in the South African news!
I realize that my view of the news is as distorted as anybody else’s. I know about what is close to me and I know nothing about the rest, but 7000 people is a lot, 70 people dying in an explosion in an airport seems newsworthy.
I guess I can conclude that no Americans, no Brits, no Canadians, and no whites of any nationality died in Mozambique over these events.

I am really getting bitter and twisted.