Wednesday, June 14, 2006

then there is surface texture


Now, surface texture is something else all together.
.....There is no way I can do it justice, absolutely no way. It is an on going fascinating thing. I'm just giving you an idea with two pictures.
What is neat about it ..............and no, I am not going to talk about grain size + composition + sorting, just forget about that...........
So the neat part about it is the feel under your feet associated with the rippling pattern...and the colours assocated with the patterns...I should be fair and say that part of the colour is related to the sand itself (yes, yes, size etc) and the light of the time of day as shown earlier, but there is more...always more...
When I go for my walks I try to figure out the way patterns and colours can be used to figure out if the sand is going to be firm or soft. Some of it, in broad terms, is easily figured out, but every now and then, usually right after I come up with a new theory on the sand's ability to support my weight, something goes "wrong" and I find myself walking through soft sand....

Walking on sand is amazingly like walking on snow, sometimes you break through sometimes you 'float". I like it...I am starting to go for longer walks...Yes, I know I still haven't explained anything about the guards.