Monday, June 26, 2006

Like a hyena on a leash




Today I feel absolutely great. Amazingly great. I am in very good spirits. I feel relaxed etc.

Three days ago I woke up with something which I call a "pinched nerve" in the neck...I have no idea what it really is..I very much doubt that it is a pinched nerve, but somehow when you say that people know what you are talking about. Anyway! I had a killer headache on one side of the head behind the eye and all the way to the jaw...Not fun. Everybody was saying "you've been here too long...Even men can't last that long"...What ever!
That evening when I went to bed I decided that the next day I would take the day off...Technically it makes no difference since I sent the same reports at the same time.
But I slept the sleep of the "just" and woke up with my neck just about back to normal. I payed no attention to the cement problem we had and told people who wanted to talk about our problems that "not today! I am on holidays today!" and they just laughed. I listened to music, pottered about and did my job but without the stress of worrying about the cement. The following morning I went with two guards off location -we drove- and went for a long walk. When I got back for my 10:00am report I was "back working" but this little stint did me a world of good and I feel great.

The big thing here is that I now have one more link in my "leash".
Being able to drive off location an start a walk away from the rig, away from the noise, is the new "link" in my leash. I now have just a little more freedom, a little more space, a little further to go. This walk took two weeks to organised but now all agree that it is very easy - "feasable" was the word- and that I should do it more often.
I don't know if I will ever be able to roam free like the male geologist (God forbide!!! ....in this case literally so) but slowly I am gaining more freedom - my leash is getting longer!

Of course the fact that our cement problems are over is also helping a lot in the way I feel.