Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sun Spiders


The locals call those either camel spiders, sun spiders or wind scorpions. I saw one of those in Kaz so they are quite widly spread.
The thing about those spiders is that , first they run incredibly fast, second they are incredibly aggresive and third they have a set of jaw that allows them to eat things like locuses etc...I saw them.
I had one in a jar but she was full of eggs and I released her FAR from the rig, but still in the last couple of days I saw several tiny little babies both in my office (when I was falling asleep on the floor), and in my room in the shower.
All academic information about them says they are not poisonous, all locals in Kaz, Yemen and here in Algeria say that they will make you very sick for one day...I thought I would not try.
I should say that around here they have the reputation of mostly coming out at night during the wind season, and as far as I can tell it is true. In the evenings of windy days we would see a dozen or so adults every night, now they are rarer.