Saturday, May 20, 2006

the stand off


This is a blog from May 3rd.

Here is the situation: I am walking far away from the rig in the desert (looking for ostrich egg shell fragments) when one of the security guard decided to leave his tower and started walking towards me. Eventually he stood between me and the rig (my home) "pumped" his rifle giving me the impression that he was now ready to shoot if needs be. We have no common language and I have my hand wide open palm out as a barrier betwen me and him as a gesture that he should stay away from me. We start "The Stand Off". Me standing one hand up between us my head down feeling like a stubborn creature. Him???? standing there staying between me and the only path I would concider.
After a long while he moved a little out of my way and slowly I moved, slow like a stubborn beast and I passed him growling.. feeling like a crazy angry beast I walked head straight up back to the rig.
We have no idea why he did it.
Security had been harrasing me about the danger of scorpions, snakes and touaregs in the desert.
After this I explained to them that nothing is more dangerous to a woman than a man in uniform.....that I would rather face a tribe of touaregs or a swarm of snakes than ONE man in uniform....Let's be honest I wasn't nice about it. I offered war if they wanted it...but apparently no, they would rather not.
They said he did it on his own and that they did not send him after me.
If this is supposed to make me feel better it is not working. Now I know that the head security guy does not control the local guards!!